My thoughts on essential oils so far...
I started using essential oils around the beginning of the year and recently people have been asking what I think of them. So, I thought I’d share a little about my experience and how I use them ::
Diffusing Essential Oils
This is how I use essential oils in my diffuser ::
- I diffuse lavender for a calming effect on Valentine at night.
- I diffuse StressAway + Lavender when I have a nightmare or when something has upset me. (This has been a huge help to me, it’s surprisingly effective.)
- I diffuse Purification to remove odors in the air in our bathrooms or to freshen up the guest room when we’re about to have company. I also like diffusing Purification before people come over because it has a wonderful fresh scent. One man said, “Can I ask what that smell is? It smells like spring!”
- I diffuse peppermint + lavender + lemon to help with allergies whenever I’ve just mowed the lawn or when Valentine wakes up with a runny nose.
- I diffused Thieves a lot during the winter. This helps boost the immune system and also kills bacteria in the air.
Cleaning with Essential Oils
Here is the shortlist of ways to clean with essential oils.
This has been one of the most significant changes that essential oils have made in my life. I now clean almost exclusively with the Thieves essential oil blend. I love that I’m not spraying harsh and possibly harmful chemicals over everything. I also like that this is a really cheap option, so I don’t have to choose between natural and budget-friendly.
Health & Essential Oils
There are so many ways that essential oils can help with your health, but these are the few ways it’s impacted us so far ::
- In the winter, Valentine always suffers from respiratory issues. Once she gets a cough, she can hardly ever get rid of it and spends her nights coughing and miserable. In the past, I’ve done everything the doctors and nurses tell me to do (use a humidifier, steam up the bathroom and let her breath the warm air, eat honey and lemon, drink warm tea, etc.). After all that, she was still coughing, so one time in the middle of the night I rubbed a drop of lavender on her stomach and chest with a little coconut oil. She stopped coughing, was asleep in 5 minutes, and slept through the night. We had this experience several more times before the winter was over. Lavender has been a complete game changer for Valentine’s health.
- I drink a drop of lemon in my water many mornings, as a way to detoxify my body. It’s almost as energizing as a cup of coffee, makes me feel good, and dampens my appetite.
- We don’t buy body or face lotion anymore, because we just use coconut oil + essential oils (whatever one seems best for the situation). I like that we’re not putting chemicals on our body and the oils are so good for skin!
- Essential oils are incredibly therapeutic. Maybe it’s the placebo effect or maybe it’s the strong connection between fragrance and emotions, but I can’t tell you how often using essential oils has made me “feel better”. Just last night, after coming in and out of her bedroom for an hour, Valentine finally said, “Can you rub ‘ssential oils on my back ‘cause it’s too hard to sleep.” I rubbed a lavender + coconut oil combination on her back and chest, let her inhale it for a few seconds, then left the room. I didn’t hear from her again until the next morning. This is really hard to quantify, so I hesitate even writing it, but it’s been part of my experience so I thought I’d mention it.
Again, there are so many ways that people use essential oils, but this is what I’ve found most helpful right off the bat. I’m still learning about ways to use oils, and I feel excited because it seems like a really accessible and affordable way to have a more healthy and natural home. I’m usually intimidated by all the information out there to be and eat healthy, but oils have come pretty easy for me. With the use of essentials oils, so many of my concerns and questions regarding the chemicals and toxins we put in and on our bodies through cleaning, skin-care products and medicine have been alleviated. It’s something that has simplified and improved my life.
If you’re interested in learning more, shoot me an email at aannagreer(at)gmail(dot)com or leave a comment here. I’d love to help if I can! For those of you already using essential oils, what do you like about them? How do you use them? What are your favorite oils and why?
(Photo by Eden Greer)