Extra Virgin :: How To Be Thankful For Sex
At church on Sunday, both the man who preached and the man who led worship commented on the fact that a key component in being a grateful person is to give yourself the space to think of what you’re thankful for and directing that gratitude to God. Thanksgiving is such a beautiful holiday because it does just that—it gives you space, a whole day, to think on things you’re thankful for and then to direct that thankfulness to the appropriate people.
With that in mind, I thought it would be meaningful to think of ways to thank God for sex and our sexuality. If you’re so inclined, here are some ideas for showing gratitude to God for the gift of sex ::
- Thank God for your gender. He’s the one who created two sexes, and he purposely made you what you are. Thank God that you’re a woman and what that means physically, emotionally, socially and spiritually.
- Thank God for your body. Thank him for the fact that you have one and for all the ways that the human body is a miraculous machine. Also thank him for your specific body, with it’s beauties and quirks, difficulties and strengths.
- Thank God for the intimacy that He supplies us through our relationships. Thank him for friends who are women, friends who are men, family members, other believers who make you are better person, other believers who are difficult and stretch your ability to love. Thank him for roommates, colleagues, the companionship you find in your acquaintances. Thank him for romance, crushes, dreams of future love. Thank him for the lonely times, the yearning, the disappointments that point to his all-sufficient love. If you have one, thank him for your husband and what it means to dig deep into one relationship.
- Thank him for sex, either as a personal reality or a future possibility. Thank him that it exists, that he thought it up, that he gave it to us. Thank him for pleasure and playfulness, mystery and excitement.
- Thank Jesus for the cross, which shows us the way to truly love. Thank him for his selfless love for us. Thank him for the path he created to intimacy with God. Thank him for doing away with the power of sin and its effect on our relationship with him and with others.
- Thank him for the joy that will one day be ours when we see him face to face, get to experience his love and personality without the numbing effect of sin. Thank him for the hope of future beauty, when everything will be made new and we can see clearly for the first time. Thank him for heaven.
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. May you be filled with gratitude for the goodness and rightness of God toward us.
(Photo by Archer Messenger)