Extra Virgin :: 10 Ways to Invest in Your Marriage
Remember that children, marriages and flower gardens reflect the kind of care they get. —H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
About a month ago, Logan and I went to a marriage retreat together. Honestly, we probably never would have gone except that the minister leading the event asked us to come as a “host couple.” Our month was busy, we were “doing okay,” and how impactful could two nights away be, really? Turns out…really impactful.
After the weekend, as we discussed how refreshed and connected we felt, it occurred to us that most of the power of the weekend was just in the simple act of getting away together and spending that time investing in our relationship. There was nothing flashy or mind-blowing about the retreat itself, but I think the leaders recognized the need to invest in your marriage, and helped us do that through rest, teaching, prayer and conversation.
It reminded me all over again of the importance of caring for your relationship, so I just wanted to bring up the discussion and suggest some options ::
- Go on a marriage retreat
- Schedule regular date nights (wouldn’t this subscription be fun?)
- Be courteous and polite to your spouse
- Find out each other’s love language and learn to love each other in these specific ways
- Read a book together (this or this would be good options)
- Laugh together (scroll through funny Youtube videos or watch a comedy)
- Lean in to each other
- Go to couples therapy together (highly recommend!)
- Say you’re sorry when you’ve done something wrong (even if he did something wrong, too)
- Pray for your marriage
What about you? What are some simple ways you invest in your marriage?
(Photo by Noah Hinton)